Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Tell Me How You Met by Jennifer Wilck

My parents met via computer error, when computer dating was first invented. My husband and I started dating on a bet. So it won’t surprise anyone to learn that not only do I love finding out how people met, but also the meet-cute in romance novels is very important to me.

In my latest book from The Wild Rose Press, Five Minutes to Love (book 2 in the Serendipity Series), Jacob and Aviva meet during a speed dating event. Both of them face pressure by others to date—Jacob’s mother wants him to find a nice Jewish girl in between all of his law school obligations, and Aviva’s roommates have been setting her up with obnoxious guys in the hopes of helping her find her happily ever after. Neither one of them particularly want to attend the event, and when they finally meet each other there, they escape together, rather than continue with the disastrous event (you’ll have to read it to find out more).

Personally, I think speed dating sounds fun. I’d never expect to meet my soul mate there, but it sounds like a great time. Never having gone to one of them, though, I had to do research.

First, I checked the Internet. There are lots of clubs and restaurants who host these events, and they appear get broken down into categories—either age, or profession, or sometimes even by culture. My problem was that there was only so much Internet research I could do without signing up for an event myself, and well, my husband was just not going to understand. ☺

So the next thing I did was contact a family friend. She’s single and lives in New York City, so I thought she might be able to provide me with more insight. She connected me with a friend of hers who not only participated in several speed dating events, but had horror stories to tell me. And they were hilarious! If you read Five Minutes to Love, you’ll get to hear about some of the funnier ones.

The last piece of research I did was unintentional. My husband, daughter and I met a friend in New York City for dinner. The restaurant we went to had an event room in the back that you had to walk through to get to the restrooms. Well, they were hosting a speed dating event that night! So I dragged my teenaged daughter with me and the two of us spied on it. We were lucky enough to get there at the beginning so I was able to hear and record the instructions the hostess gave. We both had a lot of fun spying, and it was all in the name of research.

Tell me, how did you and your significant other meet? Or, do you have a horror story of your own? Let me know about it in the comments and my favorite one will receive an e-book of Addicted to Love, the first book in this series. Can’t wait to hear your stories!

Jennifer Wilck
http://www.jenniferwilck.com

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer, I'm looking forward to reading this book! My husband and I met at work. We went out for a year and a half and only two people in work knew we were dating. It was a big surprise in the office when we announced our engagement.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Hi Laurie, I'm impressed you two were able to keep your secret for as long as you did!

Donna Simonetta said...

I was an Account Executive and Leo was my client. We met over the phone and talked for a few months before we met in person. He lived in Atlanta and I lived in CT.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Wow, Donna, that's cool. When I was an account executive, my clients were NOT date material (they were pretty odd, in fact). :)

Jana Richards said...

My husband and I met back in university, in Sociology 202. Later, we saw each other at a local pub (hey, it was in university) and started dating. We've been together ever since.

Sandy Tilley said...

I love to hear how people meet, too. After I was re-singled, I actually participated in a speed-dating event. I've blocked that fiasco from my memories.
My husband and I met on a blind date. When he walked down my sidewalk to pick me up, I knew he was the one. Took me a little longer to convince him. LOL
Can't wait to read your book!

Barbara Bettis said...

My husband and I met at a writers meeting and discovered much more that we had in common. The one story I recall about computer dating goes back a few years. In the city in which I worked, computer dating wasn't big at the time. My co-worker--a lovey girl with a degree--sent her material in. A couple of weeks later, the material was sent back to her--they couldn't find anyone to match her up with. It all turned out fine eventually--she married the boss's boss.:) Looking forward to reading your book!

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Jana, I met my husband in a similar way, although we never had class together.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Sandra, wow! I was set up on a blind date and it didn't go nearly as well for me as it did for you. :)

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Barbara, love both of those stories!

Mary Morgan said...

Great post, Jennifer! I met my husband when I applied for my first job. When he entered the the hallway, he slipped and fell against the massive oak doors. He stood, straightened his three piece suit and said, "It's about damn time they waxed these floors."

I fell in love that moment and we've been together 38 years (And yes, I got the job). Speed dating sounds like a fun. Wishing you all the best with your latest release! :)

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Mary, I love your husband! That's a fantastic reaction. Speed dating does sound fun, and I'm so glad I'll never have to do it. :) Thanks for stopping by!

JENNIFER WILCK said...

The winner of the drawing is Barbara Bettis! Congratulations!