Friday, March 14, 2014

Hickin’ it for St. Patrick’s Day by Kacey Mark


Hickin’ it for St. Patrick’s Day
Kacey Mark
www.authorkaceymark.com


I’m continuing my Hickin’ it theme with another great tradition.
For those of you who aren't familiar, I'm authoring a new book titled HICKIN' IT.
It's a paranormal romance, of course, but it has many accents that are tailored from my own experiences and amazing friends.
It's a laugh in the face to the snooty adversaries in my life who've said, "She's such a hick..." and "What a redneck..."
To which I bow and say, "With pride!"
Because the American redneck has an amazing history filled with friends, fun, and ingenuity. Not to mention we fall into situations that are hilariously entertaining, and we're not afraid to laugh at ourselves.
Take Matt for instance, I'm not sure if he claims himself as a hick, but he IS amazing!
He’s one of the many in my family with an extra comedic chromosome hiding in there somewhere.
He’s completely normal to the unsuspecting stranger, but once you get to know him, he’s a total riot!

Howdy, Matt! Tell me a little bit about your tradition.
Mine is a St. Patrick's Day tradition I made up (10 years ago). Still going strong!
Need: Swing set, IBC cream soda, 1-3 best buddies
This tradition is about naming the things you are thankful for, celebrating friendship, laughing, and remembering to breathe correctly.
First step) Everyone start swinging with an open cream soda in hand.
1) Person A screams, "I'M THANKFUL FOR _________!"
2) Everyone IMMEDIATELY shouts in unison, "HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAAAAAY!!!" In the worst Irish accent you can muster.
3) Everyone IMMEDIATELY throws back a drink.
4) Person B shouts, "I'M THANKFUL FOR _________!" ...and you repeat, until everyone's bottle is empty. Last step) All raise their empty bottles, shout very loud and long, "Happpppy ST. PATRICK'S DAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and throw your bottles.
The key is to continuously shout and drink without stopping. Don't let people stop to think of what they're thankful for. Keep up the pace as fast as you can.
No pausing.
Finding time to breathe is difficult, haha!!
I love this tradition. Made it up myself. You get to choose who were your favorite people from the past year and invite them.
How many recruits long for that soda-up-the-nose sensation the next year-round?
If I didn't keep it going myself, it would get lost to the wind. The flame to keep it going exists solely in my head, but the people involved speak fondly of it. It's a good time for everyone. It remains mine though. My own special thing I've stuck with.
Do you anticipate that this tradition is going to span generations?
It may die with me. Though, that might change. I'm starting to see various people asking about it as March rolls around. If I keep it up, and touch as many lives as I can with it... we may see a brighter future.
What kind of reactions do you get when you tell people about your tradition?
I have to break the ice tenderly. "Would you do me a favor? or I need help with something. I need your help celebrating happiness." I take it gingerly because in 20 minutes I'll have them shouting and choking.
Any funny stories that go along with your implementation from year-to-year?

Last year, I had three people come with me. Two stayed enthusiastic. The third person was having issues. His swings got slower and slower. Half the time he forgot to take a drink. His "turn" would come up with ticklish-anticipation. We all knew he was doing it wrong, but we unanimously acted as if he was one of us. The more times we cycled to him, the funnier it got. The anticipation of his inability to follow simple instruction mixed with tiny variations in how he did it wrong sent us over the edge. We fell off the swings laughing/coughing/and foaming out sweet carbonation.
The first time I created this tradition, we had an audience. Kids on the playground behind us. Baseball practice going strong in a field. Parent's littered about. While our antics could have put people on edge, hearing what we were shouting I think brought the park together in mutual understanding. We all knew what it was like to like. And sometimes seeing a small group of people break the chains of what's socially acceptable gives us all a breath of fresh air.
Vicariously induced kinship.
Kacey Mark
www.authorkaceymark.com

No comments: